Total Pageviews

Saturday 31 March 2012

Up North (East)

Last day at work for my temporary post and a lovely drive north to Camphill for a review. Fascinating history and site founded on the principles of Rudolph Steiner. Visited Blairs former seminary nearby then back home along the coast stopping at the castle of Dunnottar. When out at sea I've swum past but now, on land, this was my first visit. Probably the last also as the steps to it are so steep!
I first heard of the castle through reading Walter Scott's "Tales of a Grandfather" . Stirring stuff about Scots patriots hiding the Scottish Crown Jewels from the invading General Overton. What child would read such a book nowadays? Although the thought did cross my mind that my own paternal grandfather's tales would simply run to the events in Bennett's Bar, Morningside!
The castle is certainly ancient and is mentioned in the Annals of Ulster in the seventh century.
Ah well, back home now, very tired old seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment