Total Pageviews

Monday 23 January 2012

Old Glasgow

A day off. The decision made, off to Glasgow; mum shopping. We parked next to the High Street and, walking past the Gallowgate, to the centre. I am impressed by the changes in that historic area of the city. All the students' residences do help, of course with the lively scene developing with new bars mixing with some which appear unaltered from the 50's. As she shopped I headed to the Museum of Religion(shut on Mondays). So then to the cathedral for my first visit. Full of military monuments which , like a lot of cathedrals in these isles , to me, still jars. Even more jarring was the Union flag at the tomb of Bishop Wishart ( the great backer of Bruce and Scottish Independence). Such a juxtaposition I'm sure was not meant to offend but I'm sure I heard the sound of turning in a grave.Talking of graves next was a trip up to the Necropolis and the vainglorious monuments to the rich, including the writer of "Wee Willie Winkie" (whose name now escapes me) Then to St Andrew's Catholic cathedral( Glasgow has 4 cathedrals). The above picture shows the recently completed picture there of St John Ogilvie by Peter Howson. Howson spent an agonising time painting this so the least I could do was to turn up and impressive it is. It somehow catches the other worldliness of the martyred  Jesuit (Scotland's only post Reformation saint). However, although the building is of course a cathedral the central location of the cathedra does focus the mind on clerical power at the expense of the Tabernacle (the equivalent cathedral in Edinburgh reverses the geography). The cathedral itself shines brightly after its renovation though and was well worth the trip. And then home after buying a new iron with mum. Its weight hurt my flippers.

2 comments:

  1. Glasgow has 4 cathedrals? That's impressive! I don't think even London has that many, does it? Let me see: St Paul's, Southwark, Westminster... any more? I was mightily impressed by Liverpool's two cathedrals. Paddy's wigwam is a modernist joy whilst the Anglican cathedral is meant to be the biggest in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip, London has many more when you add all the various Orthodox ones plus the 2 in Southwark- Brentwood etc. Afraid Liverpool's is not the largest.
      S

      Delete