Total Pageviews

Monday 20 August 2012

Again apologies for the lack of postings recently. I've been  very busy with work and, of course, the Edinburgh Festival requires a visit or two. The picture above is of Gulfoss(Gold Falls) in West Central Iceland. Having returned from that wonderful country I think this image, above all others will stick with me( although there is a Selfoss(Seal Falls) there also!). I arrived late and spent the first night at Keflavik Airport and then went straight on a tour to the largest glacier in the east of the country. The second Day was the classic Golden Circle with the Geysir( well a younger version as the original has expired). It was not(alcohol excepted) as expensive as I had imaged and the people were so friendly. However I did see a few fellow seals who snubbed me.
Gulfoss was actually the subject of a bid for Hydro power over 100 years ago and, thankfully, the local farmer refused to sell. "How can I sell a friend" was his response to the request. I think Niagara's power has been reduced but upstream syphoning but fortunately Gulfoss' icy flows remain untouched. Returned to the jingoism of the Olympics and its apparent effect on our referendum. However we all need to wait, 2 years is a long way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment