Total Pageviews

Monday 9 July 2012

Mair rain

There is a poem by the great Hugh MacDiarmid which, after analysing then Scottish political scene, ends in a melancholy "mair rain". I can't be bothered, to be honest, to look it up again as at one time I could have quoted it in full, such is time and its effects. However I was reminded of the poem when reading that support for Independence has fallen to around 30%. Whilst the accuracy of polls may be questioned and the recent Jubilee effect may play some part, it is still depressing that a majority of Scots feel they should vote against the simple statement that their nation should be equal to the likes of Luxembourg( I apologise to the interesting little place). However I maintain that it will be the second, or more likely the third, referendum which will secure independence and, once achieved, there won't be any returning to the status quo ante.
However rain remains the theme of this awful summer and with holidays approaching next week what can In do? I think a spot of swimming may be in order but not in the sea, what was formerly land may suffice!

No comments:

Post a Comment